From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>, gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] a question regarding using promise PDC 20262 ide card on Ultra 5 as boot device
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:17:49
Ferris McCormick wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Zhang Weiwu wrote: > > >> Hello. I (by surprise) find that my Ultra 5 uses a standard 40-pin > IDE cable, and the on-board connector seems to be only a standard IDE > connector, thus, my harddisk, being able to run ATA66, is only working > in very slow standard IDE mode. > >> > >> > >> 2. How to boot from the hdd on the card. I just learnt to use 'boot > cdrom' on OBP to boot from CDROM, but yet is it possible to boot from > the hdd on the card? If this is not possible, perhaps I need to > prepare a boot floppy to bring up the OS (on hdd)? > >> > > This one I can sort of answer. The following process has worked for me > on a U10 with an external drive: >
Okay, I overcome the first problem by installing gentoo from an existing hdd gentoo installation. I borrowed my friends' hdd for it.
Err. None of a, b, c could boot. I feel a bit wired, a) is cdrom, b) is ide@3/disk but the hdd on IDE card should be ide5 (count from 1) or ide4 (count from 0)
> If this doesn't appeal, you can wait for someone who actually knows the > easiest way to do this on a U5 & then do that. > > At some point, you probably want to go to > http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/coll/216.1 > and grab some OpenBoot documentation. > > Somewhere on Sun's site is the answer to your exact question, but I > haven't any idea where, anymore. >
Is it possible at all to put the boot loader onto floppy like some people did for their x86 box? I see the kernel is pretty big (3.6MB), but squezze down it seems could reach 1.44MB.