From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-trustees@l.g.o, gentoo-core@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-trustees] copyright assignment doc
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 19:58:01
1 On Wednesday 30 June 2004 02:44, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > Kurt Lieber wrote: [Tue Jun 29 2004, 02:13:16PM EDT]
3 >
4 > > * It claims ownership of developer hard drives "...or computer media
5 > > relating to the Work.")
6 > > * It says "Gentoo Technologies" instead of "Gentoo Foundation"
7 > > * It is completely unenforceable for any user (non-dev) that submits
8 > > something to bugzilla and/or submissions@g.o. (we're not
9 > > requiring them to sign this doc, so it's not enforceable)
10 >
11 > We just need some integration with bugzilla, and get rid of
12 > submissions@g.o. The integration with bugzilla should include
13 > a notice on the page when making an attachment that the submitter is
14 > assigning coprights over to Gentoo.
15
16 Alternatively we could have people agree when they create a bugzilla account
17 (with transition)
20 > I don't know how to do this otherwise. When somebody submits an
21 > ebuild, we can't have them getting upset at Gentoo and claiming we ran
22 > off with their stuff. Also we don't want them licensing ebuilds to
23 > us... we really want to own the copyright on stuff in th tree so that
24 > we have future rights.
25
26 Luckilly many contributions through bugzilla, simple patches or plain
27 derivations of skel.ebuild (just filling in the package specific sourcefile
28 and website) do not qualify for copyright at all due to their unoriginal
29 nature (at least in EU law).
32 > > * Because we allow the storage things like kernel patches, etc. for which
33 > > we do not own the copyright, in CVS (in the files/ directories), it
34 > > shows that we're selectively enforcing the copyright assignment. In the
35 > > past, this has often resulted in the entire document being tossed in
36 > > court.
37 >
38 > Gonna have to talk to a lawyer about that one.
41 We need to have a lawyer with an understanding of software have a look at it.
42 Daniel's lawyer had similar errors in the artwork licensing stuff.
45 > > * It is questionable whether or not we have any legal right to enforce
46 > > copyright claims for non-US devs. They're not US citizens, so it's not
47 > > clear if they're subject to US copyright restrictions/assignments.
48 >
49 > Well, that doesn't change the fact that we should attempt to get
50 > copyright assignment even from non-U.S. devs. *shrug*
53 In most cases we should be ok. The biggest issue is probably with underaged
54 developers who are not allowed to sign themselves. Law in general is
55 transparent in these issues. If there is a particular part that is not
56 possible in the laws of the developer's country only those parts are
57 disallowed. In EU law the only thing that can not be transferred is the right
58 to be recognized as the author. That should not be an issue in any case.
59
60 > > * We selectively enforce who must sign it.
61 >
62 > No comment.
63
64 certainly.
65 >
66 > > * [minor] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/copyright/index.xml needs
67 > > to be updated to remove Daniel from the text.
68 >
69 > Right.
70 >
71 > I think Deedra had a good point. There's only so much we can do to
72 > make this thing foolproof without the help of a lawyer. Following the
73 > touch ups that we can make, that's probably the best route. (Raises
74 > the question: how do we *pay* lawyer fees?)
75
76 Maybe we could ask the FSF for advice.
77
78 Paul
81 Paul de Vrieze
82 Gentoo Developer