From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-trustees@l.g.o, gentoo-core@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-trustees] copyright assignment doc
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 00:45:22
1 Kurt Lieber wrote: [Tue Jun 29 2004, 02:13:16PM EDT]
2 > * It claims ownership of developer hard drives "...or computer media
3 > relating to the Work.")
4 > * It says "Gentoo Technologies" instead of "Gentoo Foundation"
5 > * It is completely unenforceable for any user (non-dev) that submits
6 > something to bugzilla and/or submissions@g.o. (we're not
7 > requiring them to sign this doc, so it's not enforceable)
8
9 We just need some integration with bugzilla, and get rid of
10 submissions@g.o. The integration with bugzilla should include
11 a notice on the page when making an attachment that the submitter is
12 assigning coprights over to Gentoo.
13
14 I don't know how to do this otherwise. When somebody submits an
15 ebuild, we can't have them getting upset at Gentoo and claiming we ran
16 off with their stuff. Also we don't want them licensing ebuilds to
17 us... we really want to own the copyright on stuff in th tree so that
18 we have future rights.
19
20 > * Because we allow the storage things like kernel patches, etc. for which
21 > we do not own the copyright, in CVS (in the files/ directories), it shows
22 > that we're selectively enforcing the copyright assignment. In the past,
23 > this has often resulted in the entire document being tossed in court.
24
25 Gonna have to talk to a lawyer about that one.
26
27 > * It is questionable whether or not we have any legal right to enforce
28 > copyright claims for non-US devs. They're not US citizens, so it's not
29 > clear if they're subject to US copyright restrictions/assignments.
30
31 Well, that doesn't change the fact that we should attempt to get
32 copyright assignment even from non-U.S. devs. *shrug*
33
34 > * We selectively enforce who must sign it.
35
36 No comment.
37
38 > * [minor] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/copyright/index.xml needs to
39 > be updated to remove Daniel from the text.
40
41 Right.
42
43 I think Deedra had a good point. There's only so much we can do to
44 make this thing foolproof without the help of a lawyer. Following the
45 touch ups that we can make, that's probably the best route. (Raises
46 the question: how do we *pay* lawyer fees?)
47
48 Regards,
49 Aron
52 Aron Griffis