From: Joshua Brindle <method@g.o>
To: gentoo-managers@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-trustees@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-trustees] Re: [gentoo-managers] Re: [gentoo-trustees] copyright forms and new devs
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 02:25:32
1 Kurt Lieber wrote:
2
3 >On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 08:26:30AM -0500 or thereabouts, Deedra Waters wrote:
6 >>If the current form isn't enforceable, then having people sign it doesn't really do us much good
10 >Regardless of whether or not it's enforceable, I think enough devs have
11 >expressed concern about the things it purports to enforce.
12 >
13 >IMO, we should heed those concerns, stop requiring new devs to sign the doc
14 >and figure out a way to get a better doc in place.
15 >
16 >--kurt
19 Ok, so I was just talking to dmwaters on irc and she mentioned this part
20 that I may have missed, that efforts were going on to redraft a new
21 contract. I'd like to take this chance to voice my concern about this
22 and suggest that we forego a contract of this nature (if we can even do
23 it legally wrt <18, other countries, etc, etc) and treat copyright
24 assignment just like any other devrel issue. Basically I suggest just
25 saying that some inclusive list of files such as ebuilds, init scripts,
26 gentoo specific scripts in cvs, what-have-you and treat it like a devrel
27 issue if that doesn't happen.
28
29 What I'm thinking is that we don't have a contract saying you won't do
30 something malicious in an ebuild, and we don't need to. If something
31 like that happened disciplinary action would be taken against the dev
32 and I assume he/she would be dismissed. Why is the copyright assignment
33 any different? If a developer doesn't assign the copyright we just say
34 'hey, you can't do that, you can either change it or remove it and cease
35 being a dev'
36
37 A contract is superfluous and chances are it's unenforcable anyway, no
38 other (?) GPL projects do this do they? Do other community based distros?
41 Joshua Brindle
44 gentoo-trustees@g.o mailing list