From: Daniel Ostrow <dostrow@g.o>
To: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-trustees@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [gentoo-trustees] joint copyright agreement]
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:01:10
1 On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 11:49 -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > > From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
3 > > How does this agreement play to things like that? If eselect goes on
4 > > (and based on its technical merits, there is every reason that it
5 > > should) to become the default tool in gentoo, then where does that leave
6 > > us? I'm with Grant on this: I'm not convinced.
7 >
8 > Unsurprisingly, eselect was exactly what I was thinking about when I
9 > raised that question.
10
11 The other thing is that only code written after the agreement is signed
12 is covered.
13
14 This would mean that if eselect were to become and official project and
15 it was decided that all official projects needed to have the protection
16 of the foundation that any code written from that point forward would be
17 covered under the agreement, not the code that came before. For a
18 project as robust as eselect that would mean that until a fair few
19 revisions happened most of the code would only be copyrighted to the
20 original authors.
21
22 I also believe that it should be up to the individual project whether
23 they want to have their code protected. However, it is, (and I feel like
24 a broken record here) an all or nothing deal for that project. Having
25 only a few members of a project sign is futile. I'm just saying that I
26 feel that copyright protection and official status should go hand in
27 hand. I have no problem with the code being hosted on our infra, I do
28 have a problem marking the code as official Gentoo code and having no
29 way to protect it.
32 Daniel Ostrow
33 Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees
34 Gentoo/{PPC,PPC64,DevRel}