From: Amit Dor-Shifer <amitds@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: X hoggs CPU (xorg-server-1.7.6)
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 06:43:29
1 # print modification TSs, to verify log refers to said conf file
2 # stat -c %y /etc/X11/xorg.conf /var/log/Xorg.0.log
3 2010-05-16 11:01:33.231512534 +0300
4 2010-05-16 12:23:02.502995953 +0300
7 On 05/16/10 22:15, walt wrote:
8 > On 05/16/2010 01:12 AM, Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
12 >> Explicitly setting Driver to "evdev" (to both mouse and keyboard
13 >> sections) doesn't
14 > > fix the unexplained messages in Xorg.0.log. At least X manages to
15 > start, though.
16 >
17 > I'm expecting that your newest Xorg log will be different from the
18 > earlier ones.
19 > Which messages do you mean?
20 <Xorg.0.log>
21 (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
22 (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc104"
23 (**) Option "xkb_layout" "en_US,ru"
24 (**) Option "xkb_variant" ",winkeys"
25 (**) Option "xkb_options" "grp:shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"
26 </Xorg.0.log>
27
28 That quite the same as those I had in the beginning.
29 >
30 >> I'm now noticing another problem: X's CPU usage sky-rockets when
31 >> using input devices.
32 > > Especially mouse: If I move my pointer around the screen, hovering
33 > over some windows
34 > > in the process, I get >50% CPU in 'top'.
35 >
36 > I've never seen that before. Does hovering over xev print any messages?
39 Well, I'm less inclined to think now that X is responsible for the high
40 CPU load. I wasn't too knowledgeable about the relationships between X
41 and its clients when I made my initial assumption. It was more like "I
42 startx + I move mouse + CPU shoots-up => it's X".
43
44 Looks more like kde is rocking my CPU. Indeed, xev doesn't print
45 anything while I'm generating high CPU with mouse movements. Also, I had
46 a notion twm didn't exhibit the phenomenon as long as I didn't execute
47 any kde apps. But I'm not 100% sure about the latter experiment.
48
49 I'm runing KDE 3.5.10.
50
51 Amit