From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Machine completely broken; Ncursed!
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 03:09:57
1 On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 08:47:01 +0100
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 22:51:58 -0500, »Q« wrote:
5 >
6 > > > > How can I find out whether the profile is setting those
7 > > > > variables?
8 > > >
9 > > > By removing USE="-*". At the moment it doesn't matter which
10 > > > profile you use or what it sets as you are then telling portage
11 > > > to ignore all its settings, even the critical ones.
12 > >
13 > > I'm getting conflicting info on this. Do profiles really only set
14 > > USE flags or do they do something else as well? (Or does USE="-*"
15 > > affect things *other* than USE?)
16 >
17 > Things like PYTHON_TARGETS, X86_ABI and VIDEO_CARDS are implemented as
18 > USE variables, so yes, -* clobbers them too.
19
20 Thanks.
21
22 > A lot more complicated if you have to follow a mailing list just to
23 > keep your system working. You have essentially put your system into a
24 > firefighting mode where you have to deal with each change as it breaks
25 > things.
26
27 I'd be reading this list anyway. The time I spend heading off
28 and/or dealing with breakage due to *- is negligible, certainly nothing
29 like being in constant firefighting mode. I guess I've spent more time
30 in this thread, in which my system is neither broken nor in danger of
31 breaking, than I've spent on problems due to *- over the past five
32 years.
33
34 I don't want to advocate for *-. I don't recommend it to anybody. I
35 don't particularly want to argue about how good/bad/ugly it is with
36 anybody, but it's it's tough not to argue when people are telling me
37 I'm causing myself problems and I'm not seeing any such problems.