From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Checking sanity of system...
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 08:01:58
1 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> [10-04-04 08:36]:
3 >
4 >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On 04/04/2010 08:18 AM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> Hi,
9 >>>>
10 >>>> this is no security issue in sense of attacks...it is related
11 >>>> to the consistency of the system.
12 >>>>
13 >>>> Simple question (and may be complicate to answer... ;) )
14 >>>>
15 >>>> How can I check, that my Gentoo system is uptodate
16 >>>>
17 >>> emerge --sync&& emerge -uDN world
18 >>>
19 >>>
20 >>>
21 >>>> consistent and sane?
22 >>>>
23 >>> Define "consistent" and "sane". Those words don't say anything,
24 >>> really.
25 >>>
26 >>>
27 >>>
28 >>>
29 >> You may also want to run revdep-rebuild as well. If you are talking
30 >> about your packages being "sane". That should catch anything that has
31 >> broken links or something else that leads to a package needing to be
32 >> recompiled.
33 >>
34 >> Dale
35 >>
36 >> :-) :-)
39 > Hi Dale,
40 >
41 > revdep-rebuild is currently running! :)
42 >
43 > This was the only tool I knew before posting my question here :)
44 >
45 > :)
46 >
47 > Best regards,
48 > mcc
52 When I do my updates, I always do the following:
53
54 eix-sync # This does my emerge --sync for me and updates eix since I
55 use it sometimes for the FAST searches
56
57 emerge -uvDNa world # My system is set up so that world includes
58 system so this catches everything including deep dependencies (D) and
59 changes of USE flags (N).
60
61 I then check USE flags and anything else that may be odd. If I need to
62 change something, I answer NO and repeat until I get it like it should
63 be. After emerge finishes:
64
65 emerge -p --depclean # I run that about once a month or if I know
66 something is unneeded and should be removed. If it looks sane, I rerun
67 without the -p. You could use -a I guess.
68
69 revdep-rebuild -i # This makes sure nothing is broken and I run it each
70 time after the emerge world whether --depclean is ran or not. It
71 sometimes finds something broke and fixes it so I figure it is safer to
72 run it and it do nothing than to not run it and something be broken.
73
74 One more optional thing to run, python-updater. If I see python being
75 updated, I run that too. Note: Python 3 should be popping its head up
76 if it hasn't already. If it does, do NOT switch the system to it. A
77 lot of packages do not work with it yet. If you switch to it, you can
78 keep the pieces if it breaks. Sane thoughts did not prevail on -dev so
79 you either have to mask it locally or it will be there basically doing
80 nothing. Don't ask me why they did it. I was against the idea myself.
81 < shrugs >
82
83 That's how I do it and my little rig runs pretty good. I do have
84 hiccups on occasion but everyone does eventually.
85
86 Dale
87