From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: make of gentoo-sources-3.2.12 fails
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 20:56:02
1 On Mon, 14 May 2012 14:11:25 -0500
2 Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Tanstaafl
5 > <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
6 > > This is only the case if the person who replies doesn't trim their
7 > > quoted text - which is often the case when brain-dead top-posters
8 > > try bottom (aka inline) posting...
11 > > You should always strive to adjust you habits to the rules of the
12 > > forum you are participating in...
13 > >
14 > > I loathe top-posting, but there are a few forums I participate in
15 > > where that is the norm, so I just grin and bear it...
18 > Personally, gmail has given me a bad habit. It defaults to
19 > top-posting in the web client, which I don't see how to change. But
20 > at least on the desktop I can easily move formatting around. On the
21 > Android client it seems rather archaic. Does anyone know how to
22 > change to bottom-posting on either client?
23
24 So around here we say don't top post rather bottom bottom, but what we
25 actually mean is inline post with your contribution below the portion
26 you are replying to and extraneous bits of the quoted text removed.
27 Also liberal use of [snip] tags is encouraged.
28
29 We generally tolerate gmail webapp users (trying to inline post on that
30 is hard to do but possible) and reluctantly accept the smartphone users
31 often have no choice as it's impossible to do anything other than top
32 post on many devices (especially BlackBerrys). Such users should leave
33 the nice "Sent from my BlackBerry" comment at the bottom, it helps
34 indicate you can't avoid the top-post.
35
36 All of these "rules" are like any other form of good manners - designed
37 to smooth communication and make it a pleasant thing to do. Just like
38 in real life, it's equally good manners to indicate up-front if you
39 can't do the norm. Example: some places it's expected that men stand up
40 when a lady enters the room. But not if the man has a broken leg, in
41 which case he should make sure the plaster cast and crutches can be
42 seen.
43
44 See how it works? :-)
48 Alan McKinnnon