From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Install - Concern w/ NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:04:25
1 On 12/15/05, Doug Brown <deniro0311@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > After a lot of research I have decided to go with Gentoo, and I think I have
4 > all the install issues ironed out. My main concern is with compatiblity
5 > issues and my mobo. I have read a ton of horror stories, and I want to make
6 > sure I am prepared for any issues that could arise when I install the OS. I
7 > am also concerned mith the onboard raid controller and onboard lan. I plan
8 > on setting up RAID 0+1. My mobo is a DFI Lan Party NF4 Ultra-D. Any help
9 > would be much appreciated.
10
11 If you are thinking SATA RAID, think twice. Nvidia doesn't provide
12 the necessary hardware specs to make this work. According to the
13 kernel maintainer for SATA support, nvidia is the _only_ major
14 manufacturer that refuses to release the specs.
15
16 http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html
17 http://www.kerneltraffic.org/kernel-traffic/kt20050904_324.html#3
18
19 NVidia does provide a proprietary driver on their web site that should
20 enable full support in linux, but I haven't tried it yet.
21
22 However, there is no problem using the software RAID in Linux for this.
23
24 -Richard
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list