From: Christopher Copeland <chrcop@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] md5sum for directories?
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 19:46:38
1 On 24 Feb 2008, at 06:06, Stroller wrote:
2
3 > So my question is:
4 >
5 > Is there any way to check the integrity of copied directories, to be
6 > sure that none of the files or sub-directories in them have become
7 > damaged during transfer? I'm thinking of something like md5sum for
8 > directories.
9
10 I use rsync for this and would suggest you look into it. You can tell
11 it to compare files based on checksum (which is slower) and the real
12 beauty is that if there is a file that is corrupt or otherwise not the
13 same as the source it will copy just that single file to your backup
14 disk. Test it by deleting a random file somewhere in the backup tree..
15 rerun your rsync command and the file is copied back.
16
17 man rsync
18 --
19 Christopher