From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] md5sum for directories?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 00:51:58
1 On 24 Feb 2008, at 19:46, Christopher Copeland wrote:
2 > On 24 Feb 2008, at 06:06, Stroller wrote:
3 >
4 >> So my question is:
5 >>
6 >> Is there any way to check the integrity of copied directories, to
7 >> be sure that none of the files or sub-directories in them have
8 >> become damaged during transfer? I'm thinking of something like
9 >> md5sum for directories.
10 >
11 > I use rsync for this and would suggest you look into it. You can
12 > tell it to compare files based on checksum (which is slower) and
13 > the real beauty is that if there is a file that is corrupt or
14 > otherwise not the same as the source it will copy just that single
15 > file to your backup disk. Test it by deleting a random file
16 > somewhere in the backup tree.. rerun your rsync command and the
17 > file is copied back.
18 >
19 > man rsync
20
21 Thanks. I think this has been suggested before for my backups - IIRC
22 it has a useful --ignore-path or --exclude-path command which can
23 insure you all the users' Documents & Settings, without the useless
24 temp & "Temporary Internet Files".
25
26 I've just tried `rsync- vrchi` on a pair of subdirectories ("My
27 Documents") of the backup I made last week and on those it seems run
28 in acceptable time. I got little output, however, so have deleted a
29 couple of files from the destination (I should perhaps write some
30 random data to another) and am running it again in anticipation of
31 some "copying /a/b/c/file /x/y/z/file" output.
32
33 I appreciate your help,
34
35 Stroller.