From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [ANNOUNCE] I like systemd now :)
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 01:08:03
1 On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 06:24:32PM -0600, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Say Dude,
5 > >
6 > > I have a question (well, two actually)
7 > >
8 > > My name is Alan and I've been subscribed on this list for 7 years.
9 > >
10 > > What's your name, and how long have you been around?
11 > >
12 > > Just trying to establish your place in the pecking order in this here
13 > > meritocracy.
14 >
15 > Seniority != meritocracy. And I don't know how much "meritocratic"
16 > this list could be, since it is a users lists. The most "merit" a
17 > member of this list can get is to give technically acurate,
18 > constructive, and polite help for those users asking for it.
19 >
20 > IMO, the most active users of this lists usually fail in at least two
21 > of those three, sometimes all of them. Unfortunately, I don't think I
22 > have done better. I suscribed to this lists more than eight years ago;
23 > I stopped asking for help here just a few months later. Which is
24 > easily explained by people like you that believe that "being around"
25 > longer somehow gives more "merit" and that there is a "pecking order".
26 >
27 > I was under the impression that, being all of us Gentoo users, we were
28 > equals, although some of us know less about some things and some
29 > others know more about some other things. Hence the smart, mature, and
30 > polite exchange of ideas. I didn't know this was a pissing contest.
31 >
32 > This is a technical help list, related to the Gentoo Linux
33 > distribution. Please, don't try to "pull rank" in here; you just look
34 > bad, and at least I would laugh at the futility of it. Even more
35 > considering I've been around longer:
36 >
37 > http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-user@g.o/msg35368.html
38 >
39 > Mmmh. Maybe I've been around even longer than 8 years. But, who the
40 > <censored> cares?
41 >
42 > It's completely relevant.
43 >
44 > Regards.
45 > --
46 > Canek Peláez Valdés
47 > Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
48 > Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
49
50 Other than your use of profanity, that post was worth making a sticky.
51
52 Over the last 9 years I've subscribed/unsubscribed to a good number of lists.
53 The first such abuse of others was A.O.L.S. -- yes, you just look bad, real
54 bad.
55
56 There is one LUG to which I'm subscribed, which is still good for support and
57 edification of others. Since I (re)joined this list on Oct 21, it appears that
58 only 3 messages have been of enough technical merit for saving.
59 --
60 Happy Penguin Computers >')
61 126 Fenco Drive ( \
62 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^