From: Andrey Gerasimenko <gak@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is the latest release 2006.1?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:36:10
1 On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 14:08:49 +0400, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 13:26:23 +0400, Andrey Gerasimenko wrote:
5 >
6 >> I do not see how it is hard to create a minimal installation CD image
7 >> every time new hardware support is added into the kernel,
8 >
9 > Then do it. Open source gives you the opportunity to make things happen
10 > yourself instead of whining that others won't do it. The build tools are
11 > in portage, so there's nothing stopping anyone from producing an updated
12 > minimal install CD, as has already been posted to the forums.
15 Sorry, where do you see whining? Even if I say that if whatever posted to
16 forums is good then it should go to the official Gentoo site, this would
17 not be whining.
18
19 Once again, there should be some problem with my English. It is official
20 Gentoo release policy to have minimal, live, and platform releases in
21 sync. Posting a new image to forums is not that tightly related to
22 policies. This very thread, as explained in my post, is just one reason to
23 change the policy.
24
25 I agree that if I become a Gentoo developer and use developer mailing
26 lists then the chances for the change are better.
27
28 >> or new gcc
29 >> version goes stable, or new portage version goes stable.
30 >
31 > These are irrelevant. As long as the CD boots, recognises your core
32 > hardware - which really comes down to disk controllers and network
33 > interfaces - and installs a working system, the rest can be updated
34 > post-install.
37 No, GCC and portage are relevant. The fact that the installation process
38 succeeds does not help much when a new user, just after downloading the
39 latest and greatest, has to recompile something as basic and huge as GCC
40 or just interrupt the install getting the scary message "you better do
41 nothing until you upgrade Portage".
42
43 > A major GCC update is the exception to this rule, but that is precisely
44 > the sort of thing that needs extensive testing on a range of platforms
45 > rather than a rushed release.
49 Just in case you already deleted my post, I recommend new minimal CD
50 release each time a new GCC version, major or not, goes stable. What extra
51 testing does a stable version need?
54 Andrei Gerasimenko
55 --
56 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list