From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is the latest release 2006.1?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 13:27:29
1 On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 15:30:14 +0400, Andrey Gerasimenko wrote:
2
3 > >> I do not see how it is hard to create a minimal installation CD image
4 > >> every time new hardware support is added into the kernel,
5 > >
6 > > Then do it. Open source gives you the opportunity to make things
7 > > happen yourself instead of whining that others won't do it. The build
8 > > tools are in portage, so there's nothing stopping anyone from
9 > > producing an updated minimal install CD, as has already been posted
10 > > to the forums.
13 > Sorry, where do you see whining?
14
15 Sorry, that came across as rather harsh. It was intended as a general
16 comment, not a criticism of you.
17
18 > Even if I say that if whatever posted
19 > to forums is good then it should go to the official Gentoo site, this
20 > would not be whining.
21
22 No, but it would not be practical either, because an official release
23 needs a lot more testing.
24
25 > Once again, there should be some problem with my English. It is
26 > official Gentoo release policy to have minimal, live, and platform
27 > releases in sync. Posting a new image to forums is not that tightly
28 > related to policies.
29
30 No it's not, and I never suggested it was. As an Open Source project,
31 ANYONE can build a new, unofficial image that supports brand new
32 hardware. They don't need to wait for the full releng cycle of testing on
33 all packages.
34
35 > This very thread, as explained in my post, is just
36 > one reason to change the policy.
37
38 Then you should file a bug suggesting this.
39
40 > >> or new gcc
41 > >> version goes stable, or new portage version goes stable.
42 > >
43 > > These are irrelevant. As long as the CD boots, recognises your core
44 > > hardware - which really comes down to disk controllers and network
45 > > interfaces - and installs a working system, the rest can be updated
46 > > post-install.
49 > No, GCC and portage are relevant. The fact that the installation
50 > process succeeds does not help much when a new user, just after
51 > downloading the latest and greatest, has to recompile something as
52 > basic and huge as GCC or just interrupt the install getting the scary
53 > message "you better do nothing until you upgrade Portage".
54
55 Whatever is included, something big will have a new version by the time
56 the full install has been comprehensively tested on all supported
57 platforms and put on the mirrors for a week. A Gentoo install is supposed
58 to give you a working system that is a starting point, not an end in
59 itself.
60
61 The only time a new install disc is really necessary is when the old one
62 doesn't support your hardware.
63
64 > > A major GCC update is the exception to this rule, but that is
65 > > precisely the sort of thing that needs extensive testing on a range
66 > > of platforms rather than a rushed release.
67
68 > Just in case you already deleted my post, I recommend new minimal CD
69 > release each time a new GCC version, major or not, goes stable.
70
71 I still maintain that minor GCC upgrades are not an issue, kernel
72 upgrades are far more relevant as that is where most hardware support
73 takes place. Why do you consider a GCC upgrade such a big deal? After a
74 Stage 3 install, you are likely to want to do an emerge -e world anyway,
75 to apply your customisations, so GCC will probably be recompiled anyway.
76 As long as the latest stable version is not incompatible with the CD,
77 what's the big deal?
78
79 > What extra testing does a stable version need?
80
81 To ensure that everything works as a cohesive whole.
85 Neil Bothwick
86
87 If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.