From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Resetting the root passwd
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 22:53:09
1 On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 17:05:28 -0500
2 Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On 2012-01-11 4:51 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > The site doesn't say much. It has one page, no internal links
6 > > (quite a few external ones) and a single link to an image.
7 >
8 > Weird... the wiki tree is gone... there are a *ton* of pages there,
9 > I'll have to poke the maintainers... maybe they were updating
10 > mediawiki and broke something...
11 >
12 > > But still, one can infer some of the methods of operation. There's a
13 > > master password and a few bits of easily guessable[1] entropy in the
14 > > additional data the user can configure.
15 > >
16 > > It has one weakness that reduces it back to the same password being
17 > > re-used. And that is that there is a single master password.
18 >
19 > Like I said, you can use more than one. The trick is remembering
20 > which one you used with which accounts. I use different Master
21 > Passwords for different Account Groups.
22 >
23 > > An attacker would simply need to acquire that using various
24 > > nefarious means (shoulder surfing, social engineering, hosepipe
25 > > decryption) and suddenly you are wide open[2].
26 >
27 > That is true for *any* password scheme... but there are simple ways
28 > to mitigate the risks...
29 >
30 > 1. Use multiple Master Passwords...
31 > 2. Change the character set used (I always do this)
32
33 I like this one :-)
34
35 yes, I know it's really just security by obscurity in disguise but I
36 still like it.
37
38 It's like anti-spam measures - effective at first till the spammers
39 catch on then you go find another method. But in the interim you did
40 have something workableto use
43 > 3. Add additional character modifications to each password (figure out
44 > one way that you can easily remember and do it the same for each
45 > password)
46 > 4.
47 >
48 > > I don't see that it increases cryptographic security by very much
49 > > (it does by a little)
50 >
51 > Actually, it does, and once the site is back up I'll post here and
52 > you can go read all about it...
58 Alan McKinnnon
59 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com