From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Resetting the root passwd
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 11:31:20
1 On 2012-01-11 5:51 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >> 2. Change the character set used (I always do this)
3 > I like this one:-)
4 >
5 > yes, I know it's really just security by obscurity in disguise but I
6 > still like it.
7
8 Actually, I disagree vehemently that it is 'security through obscurity'...
9
10 It would be next to impossible to 'guess' what changes to any given
11 character set any one person randomly chose to make (ie, adding one
12 additional '!' character in the middle of the character set in between
13 'r' and 's') totally changes the resulting passwords that use that
14 character set.
15
16 This is nothing like changing the port for SSH - a port scanner can
17 figure that one out in seconds...
18
19 The fact is, there is *no* 'perfect' security measure, but Passwordmaker
20 is as close to one that I have found for managing password (both online,
21 and not)...