From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gnome: "There was an error launching the application"
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 12:25:34
1 On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 5:17 AM, William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
2 > Ive just updated some 180 packages on my gnome desktop. I now have a
3 > weird problem where if I click on a gnome program, it pops up a dialog
4 > "There was an error launching the application."
5 >
6 > The apps in question work fine if run from a terminal. Icons on the
7 > taskbar seem to work ok (i.e., how I started the terminal). You can
8 > click on an image on the desktop and gimp starts, but it fails if you
9 > try and use its launch icon.
10 >
11 > So what program or app within gnome launches programs when you click on
12 > an icon?
13 >
14 > revdep-rebuils says everything is fine - but its been lying through its
15 > teeth on other systems of late so I dont trust it :)
16 >
17 > BillK
18
19 Bill,
20 Just went through the same update here on my wife's machine. I
21 didn't see this problem so at first blush it's not an endemic problem
22 with the code.
23
24 We have seen problems like this before with Gnome. The only
25 solution I've come up with is to delete the existing .gnome
26 directories. (All of them - 4 or 5 IIRC) Try creating a new user
27 account and testing Gnome in that account. If it doesn't have problems
28 then the existing account is getting hose by some incompatibility with
29 the older Gnome stuff and the (ugly) solution is to get rid of it.
30
31 Hope this helps,
32 Mark