From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Devicekit - especially just for Dale
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 16:26:33
1 On 1/18/2010 5:10 AM, Dale wrote:
2
3 > +1 I do OK with plain text but no clue on the new xml stuff. Why not
4 > just keep it simple? Is xml REALLY needed?
5
6 XML allows you to generate complex, structured, hierarchical data that
7 can be read, changed, and stored by well-tested third party libraries
8 that don't need to know anything about the contents or meaning of your
9 configuration data beforehand. This means I, as a developer, don't need
10 to write any code to read and parse configurations, validate the syntax
11 or structure (only the content), or persist it back out.
12
13 In simpler terms: less time spent on the configuration parser, more time
14 spent being productive.
15
16 If there was a less-verbose alternative that was as easy to implement,
17 with known stable parsing libraries, that had the same expressiveness as
18 XML, I'd probably use that instead. But when you're talking about data
19 that goes beyond a simple list of name/value pairs, anything attempt to
20 stream it to a flat-file format is going to result in something that is
21 either 1) redundant, or 2) hard to read. I'd go with 2 over 1 any day.
22
23 In my opinion, if the worst thing you can come up with to complain about
24 is "they used XML for their configuration files", then I'd say that
25 software is in pretty good shape. On the other hand, even I can see
26 that HAL has plenty of problems (besides its XML configuration). The
27 fact that it completely fails to work for you being a good example :)
28
29 --Mike