From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Devicekit - especially just for Dale
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 17:55:34
1 On Monday 18 January 2010 18:26:21 Mike Edenfield wrote:
2 > > +1 I do OK with plain text but no clue on the new xml stuff. Why not
3 > > just keep it simple? Is xml REALLY needed?
4 >
5 > XML allows you to generate complex, structured, hierarchical data that
6 > can be read, changed, and stored by well-tested third party libraries
7 > that don't need to know anything about the contents or meaning of your
8 > configuration data beforehand. This means I, as a developer, don't need
9 > to write any code to read and parse configurations, validate the syntax
10 > or structure (only the content), or persist it back out.
11 >
12 > In simpler terms: less time spent on the configuration parser, more time
13 > spent being productive.
16 Just as code is read many more times than it is written, so is a package
17 configured by the end user many more times than the config parser studied by
18 the developer.
19
20 Your post makes sense until you realise that the use of XML in a configuration
21 designed to be changed by the user renders the package virtually unusable.
22 Given a choice between me as a developer struggling with a config parser
23 versus vast swathes of users dumping the package because of the same parser,
24 I'd say it's me that has to work harder, not my users.
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com