From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Devicekit - especially just for Dale
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 01:22:41
1 On 01/18/2010 09:53 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > Just as code is read many more times than it is written, so is a package
4 > configured by the end user many more times than the config parser studied by
5 > the developer.
6 >
7 > Your post makes sense until you realise that the use of XML in a configuration
8 > designed to be changed by the user renders the package virtually unusable.
9 > Given a choice between me as a developer struggling with a config parser
10 > versus vast swathes of users dumping the package because of the same parser,
11 > I'd say it's me that has to work harder, not my users.
12
13 Back when git was still fairly fragile and Linus and the other git geeks were
14 discussing how to construct the git config files, quoth Linus: "The X in XML
15 stand for crap, and they couldn't even spell crap correctly."
16
17 That's a matter of record in the git mail-list repository -- I didn't make it
18 up, honest!
19
20 To see what they finally decided upon, just look at the .git/config file in
21 any git repository. Certainly more human-readable than XML, but whether it's
22 lexically equivalent/superior/inferior I certainly don't know. I do know that
23 Linus's opinions are usually quite clear :)