From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Devicekit - especially just for Dale
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 22:29:40
1 On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 19:53:16 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > Your post makes sense until you realise that the use of XML in a
4 > configuration designed to be changed by the user renders the package
5 > virtually unusable. Given a choice between me as a developer struggling
6 > with a config parser versus vast swathes of users dumping the package
7 > because of the same parser, I'd say it's me that has to work harder,
8 > not my users.
9
10 If we are truly trying to make Linux more accessible, with things like
11 the plug and play hal offers, should we even be contemplating editing
12 config files?
13
14 XML is a machine-readable file format that just happens to use ASCII
15 characters, it is not meant to be modified by a text editor, so if your
16 program uses XML configuration files, it should include a means of
17 editing those files that does not include the use of vim.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 A great many people mistake opinions for thoughts. -- Herbert V. Prochnow