From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Devicekit - especially just for Dale
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 18:30:33
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Monday 18 January 2010 18:26:21 Mike Edenfield wrote:
3 >
4 >>> +1 I do OK with plain text but no clue on the new xml stuff. Why not
5 >>> just keep it simple? Is xml REALLY needed?
6 >>>
7 >> XML allows you to generate complex, structured, hierarchical data that
8 >> can be read, changed, and stored by well-tested third party libraries
9 >> that don't need to know anything about the contents or meaning of your
10 >> configuration data beforehand. This means I, as a developer, don't need
11 >> to write any code to read and parse configurations, validate the syntax
12 >> or structure (only the content), or persist it back out.
13 >>
14 >> In simpler terms: less time spent on the configuration parser, more time
15 >> spent being productive.
19 > Just as code is read many more times than it is written, so is a package
20 > configured by the end user many more times than the config parser studied by
21 > the developer.
22 >
23 > Your post makes sense until you realise that the use of XML in a configuration
24 > designed to be changed by the user renders the package virtually unusable.
25 > Given a choice between me as a developer struggling with a config parser
26 > versus vast swathes of users dumping the package because of the same parser,
27 > I'd say it's me that has to work harder, not my users.
31 I'll add this, if devicekit uses xml and doesn't work "out of the box,"
32 as in me not having to config the thing, then it is no better than hal.
33 It may be that if I could do xml that I could have gotten hal to work.
34 Thing is, I can't do xml at the time. I suspect that I am not alone on
35 this.
36
37 So, it is possible that hal was doomed by xml for me at least. If
38 devicekit uses it, then it may get masked as well. Sounds like
39 devicekit needs to be really good. I'm sort of hooked on a working
40 keyboard and a mouse for some reason. Call me silly but they sort of
41 make the puter work.
42
43 Still hoping tho.
44