From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How do I turn my audio up?
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 20:20:41
1 On 2011-11-03, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > On my PC's audio, whilst playing CDs, with all volume settings maxed out,
4 > the volume can't be said to be louder than "comfortable and sensible".
5 > In quiet passages, the music gets drowned out by the noise of the power
6 > supply. I know from plugging in my iPod that the loudspeakers are
7 > capable of much more.
8 >
9 > The three volume controls up at full are (i) the one in aqualung; (ii)
10 > the one in alsamixer; (iii) the physical control on the right speaker.
11 >
12 > Surely I can get more volume, somehow. Could somebody please suggest
13 > how.
14
15 The easiest answer seems to be to get an audio card (or USB dongle) that
16 has a real line-level output rather than just a headphone-level
17 output.
18
19 Some amplified speakers need more signal than others, and many
20 on-board audio outputs are utter crap.
21
22 A friend of mine had some _nice_ Bose computer speakers plugged into
23 her green "audio out" jack. You had to turn all the volumes up to 11
24 to hear much, and it sounded awful.
25
26 I plugged in a $20 USB audio out dongle with a real line-level output,
27 and now it sounds great.
30 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Are we live or on
31 at tape?
32 gmail.com