From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Dinosaur Matrox Mystique: corruption
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:55:00
1 I'm in over my head---bigtime. Trying to install a good gentoo setup, to
2 configure xorg where I have been forced to use the last working video card
3 in my parts box: a matrox mystique. The system is ok, with A7V600 MB, 512 MB
4 RAM, and an Athlon XP 2600+. Video is corrupted using Gentoo, no matter what
5 I've thought of to do. An Ubuntu partition on this box runs this video card
6 quite well.
7
8 I gather that there was a bug in the mga drivers some time ago, and it
9 appears that the xorg drivers have incorporated the patches I have seen
10 during my google searches.
11
12 I do wonder what to do about framebuffers, though. Tiring of the battle,
13 after many years of avoiding framebuffers, I finally turned on every
14 possible framebuffer related option in the kernel, recompiled the kernel,
15 installed, and ... the machine refused to boot. So I cobbled the system back
16 together and recompiled, and the system is back to the corruption issues
17 again. I do note that Ubuntu has some framebuffer modules loaded, and I
18 would like to learn just how this framebuffer might make my life any easier.
19 Can someone point to a description of the use of framebuffers? Why does
20 Gentoo include a no framebuffer kernel on the installation CDs? Is it
21 adviseable to use fb with the matrox driver on an x86 system?
24 lost, and using Firefox at least, when I type Ctrl-L, the frame displays
25 properly until it is scrolled again. I have found descriptions of similar
26 issues on the Inet, but nothing that has helped get my system to work
27 properly. Does this symptom ring a bell with anyone?
28
29 Thank you for any advice or pointers.
30
31 Gentoo is fantastic.
32
33 Alan Davis