From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is my data gone?
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 08:45:26
1 On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:43:41 -0400, dhk wrote:
2
3 > While setting up a new disk I accidentally ran "mke2fs /dev/sda1"
4 > instead of "mke2fs /dev/hda1". When I realized the mistake (about 2
5 > seconds later) I hit Ctrl-C before mke2fs was done. Now I can't
6 > mount the drive. Is there a way to read the drive to get the data off
7 > or is it unrecoverable?
8
9 The data is still there, mke2fs just reset the superblock. Photorec will
10 recover file contents from a filesystem like this. It only recovers the
11 contents, not the metadata, so you'll end up with files with meaningless
12 names, but as they are video files I suspect there are not too many of
13 them and they are fairly easy to identify. At least it's less work than
14 importing and editing them all again.
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 I am in total control, but don't tell my wife.