From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [FIXED] Re: [gentoo-user] Multiple instances of Dolphin automagically appear upon login
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 15:06:51
1 On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 7:06 AM Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 25/4/21 11:34 pm, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > > On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 7:12 AM Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
5 > >>
6 > >> Hi all,
7 > >> A reworking of the subject line from my earlier post regarding
8 > > pods of
9 > >> Dolphins.......
10 >
11 > [snip]
12 > ...
13 > ...
14 > [snip]
17 > > To me it's suggestive of something messed up in a config file.
18 > >
19 > > What does your .config/dolphinrc file look like?
20 > >
21 > > At the level of KDE in general I have no idea what config file/files it
22 > > looks at when configuring the complete desktop environment but that
23 would
24 > > be the next thing I'd go looking for.
25 > >
26 > > I'm assuming (bad idea) that you've done a very simple experiment like
27 > > closing all the dolphin windows and immediately logging out of KDE?
28 > >
29 > > - Mark
30 > >
31 > Mark,
32 > Thanks for the suggestion. It wasn't actually dolphinrc but the
33 > ~/.config/session dir that contained the problem. It appears that just
34 > during my normal day to day usage of the machine, I would open Dolphin,
35 > use it, then close it, rinse, repeat. The GUI would close down but some
36 > part of Dolphin would remain running. This resulted in, the time I
37 > finally spotted this, 28 instances of this "zombie" running.
38 >
39 > When the machine was shutdown at the end of the day, these 20 odd
40 > zombies would write a file into "session" for start up next time - which
41 > they in turn did the next time the machine started up, but this time as
42 > the full GUI + zombie.
43 >
44 > Cleaning out session and killing all of the zombies fixed the
45 problem.
46 >
47 > Regards,
48 > Andrew
49
50 Andrew,
51 I'm glad you found the root cause and provided back information that
52 should be quite helpful should anyone else who runs into this issue.
53
54 Cheers,
55 Mark