From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [FIXED] Re: [gentoo-user] Multiple instances of Dolphin automagically appear upon login
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 14:06:13
1 On 25/4/21 11:34 pm, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 7:12 AM Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Hi all,
5 >> A reworking of the subject line from my earlier post regarding
6 > pods of
7 >> Dolphins.......
8
9 [snip]
10 ...
11 ...
12 [snip]
15 > To me it's suggestive of something messed up in a config file.
16 >
17 > What does your .config/dolphinrc file look like?
18 >
19 > At the level of KDE in general I have no idea what config file/files it
20 > looks at when configuring the complete desktop environment but that would
21 > be the next thing I'd go looking for.
22 >
23 > I'm assuming (bad idea) that you've done a very simple experiment like
24 > closing all the dolphin windows and immediately logging out of KDE?
25 >
26 > - Mark
27 >
28 Mark,
29 Thanks for the suggestion. It wasn't actually dolphinrc but the
30 ~/.config/session dir that contained the problem. It appears that just
31 during my normal day to day usage of the machine, I would open Dolphin,
32 use it, then close it, rinse, repeat. The GUI would close down but some
33 part of Dolphin would remain running. This resulted in, the time I
34 finally spotted this, 28 instances of this "zombie" running.
35
36 When the machine was shutdown at the end of the day, these 20 odd
37 zombies would write a file into "session" for start up next time - which
38 they in turn did the next time the machine started up, but this time as
39 the full GUI + zombie.
40
41 Cleaning out session and killing all of the zombies fixed the problem.
42
43 Regards,
44 Andrew