From: Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fast file system for cache directory with lot's of files
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 19:58:04
1 On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz> wrote:
2 > Am 14.08.2012 19:42, schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
3 >> Am Dienstag, 14. August 2012, 13:21:35 schrieb Jason Weisberger:
4 >>> Sure, but wouldn't compression make write operations slower? And isn't he
5 >>> looking for performance?
6 >>
7 >> not really. As long as the CPU can compress faster than the disk can write
8 >> stuff.
9 >>
10 >> More interessting: is btrfs trying to be smart - only compressing compressible
11 >> stuff?
14 > It does do that, but letting btrfs check if the files are already
15 > compressed, if you know, that they are compressed, is a waste of cpu
16 > cycles :)
19 Also look into the difference between compress and compress-force[0].
20 I wonder how much overhead checking whether or not to compress a file
21 costs. I use mount options similar to Helmut and get great results:
22 defaults,autodefrag,space_cache,compress=lzo,subvol=@,relatime
23
24 But most of my data is compressible. Compression makes such a huge
25 difference, it surprises me. Apparently on this Ubuntu system it
26 automatically makes use of all files on / as a subvolume in "@".
27 Interesting.
28
29 Anyway, btrfs-progs does include basic fsck now but I wouldn't use it
30 for anything serious[1].
33 [0] https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Mount_options
34 [1] https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Btrfsck