From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fast file system for cache directory with lot's of files
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 20:20:32
1 On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz>
4 > wrote:
5 > > Am 14.08.2012 19:42, schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
6 > >> Am Dienstag, 14. August 2012, 13:21:35 schrieb Jason Weisberger:
7 > >>> Sure, but wouldn't compression make write operations slower? And
8 > isn't he
9 > >>> looking for performance?
10 > >>
11 > >> not really. As long as the CPU can compress faster than the disk can
12 > write
13 > >> stuff.
14 > >>
15 > >> More interessting: is btrfs trying to be smart - only compressing
16 > compressible
17 > >> stuff?
18 > >>
19 > >
20 > > It does do that, but letting btrfs check if the files are already
21 > > compressed, if you know, that they are compressed, is a waste of cpu
22 > > cycles :)
25 > Also look into the difference between compress and compress-force[0].
26 > I wonder how much overhead checking whether or not to compress a file
27 > costs. I use mount options similar to Helmut and get great results:
28 > defaults,autodefrag,space_cache,compress=lzo,subvol=@,relatime
29 >
30 > But most of my data is compressible. Compression makes such a huge
31 > difference, it surprises me. Apparently on this Ubuntu system it
32 > automatically makes use of all files on / as a subvolume in "@".
33 > Interesting.
36 Huge difference, how?
37
38 Could we see some bonnie++ comparisons between the various configurations
39 we've discussed for ext4 and btrfs? Depending on the results, it might be
40 getting time for me to take the plunge myself.
43 :wq