From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sshd no longer starting when it should.
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 21:11:40
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 22:43 on Wednesday 08 June 2011, Grant Edwards
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > On 2011-06-08, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > Apparently, though unproven, at 22:18 on Wednesday 08 June 2011, Grant
6 > > Edwards
7 > >
8 > > did opine thusly:
9 > >> A recent update seems to have broken sshd. It no longer starts when
10 > >> it should. It seems to refuse to start up unless eth0 is up. For years
11 > >> I've had the following in /etc/conf.d/rc
12 > >>
13 > >> RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING="lo"
14 > >>
15 > >> According to the comments that means that the "net" service is up as
16 > >> long as at least one interface (including lo) is up, and sshd used to
17 > >> obey that setting. But now sshd seems to ignore that and has decided
18 > >> that it knows better than I do -- it refuses to start when I tell it
19 > >> to via "/etc/init.d/sshd start", and says "sshd is scheduled to start
20 > >> when net.eth0 has started". I don't plan on starting net.eth0, but I
21 > >> want sshd started anyway. If I'd meant "start if you happen to feel
22 > >> like it" I would have typed
23 > >
24 > > Didn't read all the messages and files after upgrading openrc, right?
25 >
26 > I read them, but...
27 >
28 > > What you want is in /etc/rc.conf and it's now called rc_depend_strict
29 >
30 > Right:
31 >
32 > # Do we allow any started service in the runlevel to satisfy the
33 > dependency # or do we want all of them regardless of state? For example,
34 > if net.eth0 # and net.eth1 are in the default runlevel then with
35 > rc_depend_strict="NO" # both will be started, but services that depend on
36 > 'net' will work if either # one comes up. With rc_depend_strict="YES" we
37 > would require them both to # come up.
38 > #rc_depend_strict="YES"
39 >
40 > I had assumed that since the line setting it to YES was commented out
41 > that the default was NO, and you uncommented the line to set it to
42 > YES. I don't know where that belief came from, but it's wrong -- the
43 > commented out line apparently shows the default.
44
45 Yes, that stuff can get confusing and it's easy to get it mixed up. Te way
46 it's done is the only really sane way - consider how it would play out if the
47 setting was a value or a list of possibilities - you couldn't put a commented
48 example in there that is the opposite of the default
52 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com