From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: sshd no longer starting when it should.
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 20:45:13
1 On 2011-06-08, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 22:18 on Wednesday 08 June 2011, Grant Edwards
3 > did opine thusly:
4 >
5 >> A recent update seems to have broken sshd. It no longer starts when
6 >> it should. It seems to refuse to start up unless eth0 is up. For years
7 >> I've had the following in /etc/conf.d/rc
8 >>
9 >> RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING="lo"
10 >>
11 >> According to the comments that means that the "net" service is up as
12 >> long as at least one interface (including lo) is up, and sshd used to
13 >> obey that setting. But now sshd seems to ignore that and has decided
14 >> that it knows better than I do -- it refuses to start when I tell it
15 >> to via "/etc/init.d/sshd start", and says "sshd is scheduled to start
16 >> when net.eth0 has started". I don't plan on starting net.eth0, but I
17 >> want sshd started anyway. If I'd meant "start if you happen to feel
18 >> like it" I would have typed
19 >
20 > Didn't read all the messages and files after upgrading openrc, right?
21
22 I read them, but...
23
24 > What you want is in /etc/rc.conf and it's now called rc_depend_strict
25
26 Right:
27
28 # Do we allow any started service in the runlevel to satisfy the dependency
29 # or do we want all of them regardless of state? For example, if net.eth0
30 # and net.eth1 are in the default runlevel then with rc_depend_strict="NO"
31 # both will be started, but services that depend on 'net' will work if either
32 # one comes up. With rc_depend_strict="YES" we would require them both to
33 # come up.
34 #rc_depend_strict="YES"
35
36 I had assumed that since the line setting it to YES was commented out
37 that the default was NO, and you uncommented the line to set it to
38 YES. I don't know where that belief came from, but it's wrong -- the
39 commented out line apparently shows the default.
42 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Being a BALD HERO
43 at is almost as FESTIVE as a
44 gmail.com TATTOOED KNOCKWURST.