From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] old kernels are installed during the upgrade
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2018 08:54:09
1 On 04/01/2018 08:40, Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 03/01/18 22:09, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On 04/01/2018 00:02, Stroller wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>>> On 3 Jan 2018, at 21:55, Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 >>>>
7 >>>> What would be nice, would be if "emerge --depclean" had the smarts to
8 >>>> recognise that /usr/src/linux pointed to the current active kernel, and
9 >>>> didn't wipe that when it cleaned out everything else :-) That way, at
10 >>>> most you could have the current and latest kernel sources available
11 >>>> pretty easily.
12 >>>
13 >>> You've jogged a long-hibernating memory - the accidental removal of the current sources tree in an accident like this may be the exact reason why I refuse to allow kernel versions to be actively emerged.
14 >>
15 >> I think that's a mountain and a molehill. You still have the image in
16 >> /boot, config in /boot or in the running kernel, libs in /lib/modules
17 >> and the bootloader is intact.
18 >>
19 >> Delete the sources?
20 >> - Re-emerge them. 90 seconds.
21 >> - Re-compile using existing config. 20 minutes
22 >>
23 >> So deleting the sources for the running kernel is a doh! moment. But no
24 >> biggie, and certainly not cause for changing your routine (all in my own
25 >> not at all humble opinion, of course)
26 >>
27 > But it's a royal pain, especially if you don't realise that's what's
28 > happened, because a general emerge is likely to have a lot of grief.
29
30 Yes there is that
33 > Dunno how many ebuilds actually refer to /usr/src/linux for some of
34 > their header files, but I doubt it's negligible. It's certainly caused
35 > me grief in the past.
36
37 It's a decidedly non-trivial number of ebuilds.
38
39 On Gentoo /usr/src is a symlink to the *configured* kernel sources, on
40 binary distros the same dir usually contains headers for the running kernel
41
42 > (Yes I think they're not supposed to, but what's that saying about
43 > theory and practice?)
44
45 I don't know of any documentation in Gentoo that says ebuilds shouldn't
46 do that but I can't think of any realistic alternatives. Gentoo needs
47 access to the kernel config not just the sources and we can't rely on a
48 config being present in /boot like binary distros can
51 > I don't like it when well-known problems cause general breakage that is
52 > likely to cause havoc for unsuspecting users...
53
54 Gentoo has always had a fallback excuse position for devs:
55
56 By running Gentoo you give up all right to claiming to be an
57 "unsuspecting user"
58
59 Harsh I know, and sucky when it hits you, but it is what it is.
60 Gentoo is not for the faint-hearted
65 Alan McKinnon
66 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com