From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] old kernels are installed during the upgrade
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2018 06:40:27
1 On 03/01/18 22:09, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 04/01/2018 00:02, Stroller wrote:
3 >>
4 >>> On 3 Jan 2018, at 21:55, Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> What would be nice, would be if "emerge --depclean" had the smarts to
7 >>> recognise that /usr/src/linux pointed to the current active kernel, and
8 >>> didn't wipe that when it cleaned out everything else :-) That way, at
9 >>> most you could have the current and latest kernel sources available
10 >>> pretty easily.
11 >>
12 >> You've jogged a long-hibernating memory - the accidental removal of the current sources tree in an accident like this may be the exact reason why I refuse to allow kernel versions to be actively emerged.
13 >
14 > I think that's a mountain and a molehill. You still have the image in
15 > /boot, config in /boot or in the running kernel, libs in /lib/modules
16 > and the bootloader is intact.
17 >
18 > Delete the sources?
19 > - Re-emerge them. 90 seconds.
20 > - Re-compile using existing config. 20 minutes
21 >
22 > So deleting the sources for the running kernel is a doh! moment. But no
23 > biggie, and certainly not cause for changing your routine (all in my own
24 > not at all humble opinion, of course)
25 >
26 But it's a royal pain, especially if you don't realise that's what's
27 happened, because a general emerge is likely to have a lot of grief.
28
29 Dunno how many ebuilds actually refer to /usr/src/linux for some of
30 their header files, but I doubt it's negligible. It's certainly caused
31 me grief in the past.
32
33 (Yes I think they're not supposed to, but what's that saying about
34 theory and practice?)
35
36 I don't like it when well-known problems cause general breakage that is
37 likely to cause havoc for unsuspecting users...
38
39 Cheers,
40 Wol