From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] old kernels are installed during the upgrade
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 22:14:44
1 On 04/01/2018 00:02, Stroller wrote:
2 >
3 >> On 3 Jan 2018, at 21:55, Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> What would be nice, would be if "emerge --depclean" had the smarts to
6 >> recognise that /usr/src/linux pointed to the current active kernel, and
7 >> didn't wipe that when it cleaned out everything else :-) That way, at
8 >> most you could have the current and latest kernel sources available
9 >> pretty easily.
10 >
11 > You've jogged a long-hibernating memory - the accidental removal of the current sources tree in an accident like this may be the exact reason why I refuse to allow kernel versions to be actively emerged.
12
13 I think that's a mountain and a molehill. You still have the image in
14 /boot, config in /boot or in the running kernel, libs in /lib/modules
15 and the bootloader is intact.
16
17 Delete the sources?
18 - Re-emerge them. 90 seconds.
19 - Re-compile using existing config. 20 minutes
20
21 So deleting the sources for the running kernel is a doh! moment. But no
22 biggie, and certainly not cause for changing your routine (all in my own
23 not at all humble opinion, of course)
26 Alan McKinnon
27 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com