From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Winchester Digital HD: Advanced Format
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 17:42:37
1 On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 9:11 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > Hi Gandalf,
5 >
6 > thanks a lot for your extensive explanations!!!
7 > Unfortunately, I already bought two of those drives...according
8 > to your explanation about the expected lifetime of those I think
9 > I have done the complete wrong decision...
10 > But what could be the reason for building a drive with THAT setup...
11 > it literally kills itsself...
12 >
13 > May be itz is possible to "tune" the drive to not to save such great
14 > amount of energy (read: Do not park heads that fast) via hdparm???
15 >
16 > Best regards,
17 > mcc
18
19 I have no data but I don't think the drive isn't killing itself. I
20 have one in a Windows box and I'm not seeing this problem. My
21 suspicion is that Linux is doing something that wakes the drive up
22 once every two minutes and then lets the drive go back to sleep. That
23 amounts to 30 load cycles an hour which hits the 300K spec in 13-14
24 months. I don't know that the drive will die when it gets to 300K. All
25 I know is that's the spec WD gives, not only for these Green-series
26 drives, but also for their Blue, Black and RAID Edition drives. The
27 thing is I have RAID Edition drives in similar systems and they aren't
28 racking up this count value so they presumably will last longer.
29
30 I have NO data as to why this is happening. It just is. I figure I've
31 got 6 months to find a solution, and then without a solution 6 more
32 months to swap the drives out if I get too worried.
33
34 - Mark