From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Winchester Digital HD: Advanced Format
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 17:43:26
1 On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 9:11 AM,  <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 >>
5 >> Hi Gandalf,
6 >>
7 >> thanks a lot for your extensive explanations!!!
8 >> Unfortunately, I already bought two of those drives...according
9 >> to your explanation about the expected lifetime of those I think
10 >> I have done the complete wrong decision...
11 >> But what could be the reason for building a drive with THAT setup...
12 >> it literally kills itsself...
13 >>
14 >> May be itz is possible to "tune" the drive to not to save such great
15 >> amount of energy (read: Do not park heads that fast) via hdparm???
16 >>
17 >> Best regards,
18 >> mcc
21 Sorry!! Bad writing. I meant to say "I have no data but I don't think
22 the drive is killing itself."
23
24 Sorry!
27 > I have no data but I don't think the drive isn't killing itself. I
28 > have one in a Windows box and I'm not seeing this problem. My
29 > suspicion is that Linux is doing something that wakes the drive up
30 > once every two minutes and then lets the drive go back to sleep. That
31 > amounts to 30  load cycles an hour which hits the 300K spec in 13-14
32 > months. I don't know that the drive will die when it gets to 300K. All
33 > I know is that's the spec WD gives, not only for these Green-series
34 > drives, but also for their Blue, Black and RAID Edition drives. The
35 > thing is I have RAID Edition drives in similar systems and they aren't
36 > racking up this count value so they presumably will last longer.
37 >
38 > I have NO data as to why this is happening. It just is. I figure I've
39 > got 6 months to find a solution, and then without a solution 6 more
40 > months to swap the drives out if I get too worried.
41 >
42 > - Mark