From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 00:45:12
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Friday, 9 December 2022 00:03:29 GMT Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I think back sometimes, I started out with a 30GB hard drive waaaay back
5 >> in 2003. I thought I had problems then.
6 > Then you won't want to know that I paid extra in 1990 for an 85MB drive in my
7 > first PC. No, not GB: MB.
10 I worked at a puter place in the late 80's.  They had old hard drives
11 that were only a few MBs and had 14" platters.  Yes, 14" platters.
12 Funny thing is, you could replace the platters in those.  You open the
13 drive, replace platter, reassemble drive, turn on fan which had a hefty
14 filter on the intake.  Once it ran long enough to have clean air inside,
15 spin up the drive and go back to work.
16
17 I even remember when 512KBs of ram was a big deal.  I also remember
18 having expansion cards that would add a few MBs of ram.  Jeez I'm
19 getting old.  o_O  We talk about TBs like they are nothing.  My first
20 puter was a old Vic-20.  4Kbs of ram it had.  I played music on that
21 thing and freaked my Dad out.  ROFL
22
23 Dale
24