From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 08:27:23
1 On 09/12/2022 00:45, Dale wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >> On Friday, 9 December 2022 00:03:29 GMT Dale wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I think back sometimes, I started out with a 30GB hard drive waaaay back
6 >>> in 2003. I thought I had problems then.
7 >> Then you won't want to know that I paid extra in 1990 for an 85MB drive in my
8 >> first PC. No, not GB: MB.
11 > I worked at a puter place in the late 80's.  They had old hard drives
12 > that were only a few MBs and had 14" platters.  Yes, 14" platters.
13 > Funny thing is, you could replace the platters in those.  You open the
14 > drive, replace platter, reassemble drive, turn on fan which had a hefty
15 > filter on the intake.  Once it ran long enough to have clean air inside,
16 > spin up the drive and go back to work.
17 >
18 > I even remember when 512KBs of ram was a big deal.  I also remember
19 > having expansion cards that would add a few MBs of ram.  Jeez I'm
20 > getting old.  o_O  We talk about TBs like they are nothing.  My first
21 > puter was a old Vic-20.  4Kbs of ram it had.  I played music on that
22 > thing and freaked my Dad out.  ROFL
23 >
24 I remember those things. About 16 MB per platter. I remember my work
25 buying a 300MB drive (19 platters in a disk pack, the size of a washing
26 machine) for our multi-user mini that served the entire company with
27 256KB of ram ...
28
29 Cheers,
30 Wol