From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 10:34:08
1 On Friday, 9 December 2022 08:27:18 GMT Wol wrote:
2 > On 09/12/2022 00:45, Dale wrote:
3 > > I even remember when 512KBs of ram was a big deal. I also remember
4 > > having expansion cards that would add a few MBs of ram. Jeez I'm
5 > > getting old. o_O We talk about TBs like they are nothing. My first
6 > > puter was a old Vic-20. 4Kbs of ram it had. I played music on that
7 > > thing and freaked my Dad out. ROFL
8 >
9 > I remember those things. About 16 MB per platter. I remember my work
10 > buying a 300MB drive (19 platters in a disk pack, the size of a washing
11 > machine) for our multi-user mini that served the entire company with
12 > 256KB of ram ...
13
14 Latest in the willy-waving contest: in the 1970s the national grid was
15 monitored and analysed with a Ferranti Argus 500 machine with 24KB RAM and a
16 2MB disk. It was common for American visitors to believe that was just driving
17 the control engineers' displays, and where was the main computer?
18
19 24-bit assembler code. Those were the days - some of my very best. No concept
20 of a file or a file-system.
23 Regards,
24 Peter.