From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] update problems
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 11:52:38
1 On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 20:37:53 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
2
3 > My impression is that using Portage has become more complicated
4 > & its warning/error messages have not been given the necessary
5 > attention. Complaints or pleas for help like the OP's here are quite
6 > frequent & not all of them come from novices who don't understand what
7 > Gentoo does.
8 >
9 > Portage sb able to report eg
10 >
11 > "Pkg1 & Pkg2 (of Version1 & Version2) can't be installed together ;
12 > Pkg1 is needed for Pkg3, which you already have installed ;
13 > Pkg2 is needed for Pkg4, which you are trying to install.
14 > Please review your needs : you may need to remove a package
15 > temporarily in order for Portage to proceed, then restore a different
16 > version of it".
17
18 Maybe it should, but if there is no one willing or able to take on this
19 task, it won't. Assuming that the task is a major one, which I think it
20 is, an interim help may be a documentation page that explains the causes
21 of such messages in detail, as is so often done on this list, referenced
22 in the portage output.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 "Designing pages in HTML is like having sex in a bathtub. If you don't
29 know anything about sex, it won't help to know a lot about bathtubs."