From: Billy Wayne McCann <thebillywayne@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT ( was : Cannot boot 2.6.21-gentoo-r4)
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 19:35:05
1 Albert Hopkins wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 15:19 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On Tuesday 17 July 2007, Mick wrote:
4 >>> On Tuesday 17 July 2007 13:20, Billy McCann wrote:
5 >>>> Hi Mick. From what I understand, using oldconfig for major
6 >>>> version changes (.20 -> .21) is a bad idea. Here's what I did. It
7 >>>> may be slow and stupid but it worked like a charm.
8 >>> Sure, but I have been using oldconfig for previous major changes and
9 >>> never had a problem like this before.
10 >> Now you know why the kernel devs keep telling you not to do it, heh :-)
13 > I don't know which kernel dev keeps saying that, but I'd recommend
14 > he/she specify what is meant by "major version" since, historically:
15 >
16 > 2.6.22
17 > ^ ^ ^
18 > | | +--- Revision
19 > | +----- Minor version
20 > +------- Major version
21 >
22 > And therefore .20 -> .21 would not be considered a "major" version
23 > change by most accounts.
24 >
25 > --
26 > Albert W. Hopkins
27
28 Thanks for correcting my nomenclature, Albert. I too was wanting to use
29 oldconfig for upgrading my kernel from .20 to .21, but decided not to
30 after reading the recommendation of the Gentoo Kernel Upgrade Guide, the
31 relevant portion of which I have pasted below. Perhaps this applied only
32 to the specific example used.
33
34 My purpose for pasting this into this discussion is three-fold: to show
35 why I said what I did, to hopefully dispel the notion that I merely made
36 this all up, and to discuss the relevance of the pasted text itself.
37
38 I apologize for being off-topic and hope that Mick finds himself a
39 working kernel config soon. :)
42 Billy Wayne
43
44 =====================
45
46 (Note the the second and third sentences of the second paragraph.)
47
48 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml
49
50 10. Advanced: Using your old kernel .config to configure a new one
51
52 It is sometimes possible to save time by re-using the configuration file
53 from your old kernel when configuring the new one. Note that this is
54 generally unsafe -- too many changes between every kernel release for
55 this to be a reliable upgrade path.
56
57 The only situation where this is appropriate is when upgrading from one
58 Gentoo kernel revision to another. For example, the changes made between
59 gentoo-sources-2.6.9-r1 and gentoo-sources-2.6.9-r2 will be very small,
60 so it is usually OK to use the following method. However, it is not
61 appropriate to use it in the example used throughout this document:
62 upgrading from 2.6.8 to 2.6.9. Too many changes between the official
63 releases, and the method described below does not display enough context
64 to the user, often resulting in the user running into problems because
65 they disabled options that they really didn't want to.
68 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list