From: Billy Wayne McCann <thebillywayne@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Using oldconfig and kernel revisions ( was : Cannot boot 2.6.21-gentoo-r4)
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:17:48
1 Right after I sent my previous mail, it hit me that maybe a better topic
2 than just "OT" would be better.
3
4 Billy Wayne McCann wrote:
5 > Albert Hopkins wrote:
6 >> On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 15:19 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
7 >>> On Tuesday 17 July 2007, Mick wrote:
8 >>>> On Tuesday 17 July 2007 13:20, Billy McCann wrote:
9 >>>>> Hi Mick. From what I understand, using oldconfig for major
10 >>>>> version changes (.20 -> .21) is a bad idea. Here's what I did. It
11 >>>>> may be slow and stupid but it worked like a charm.
12 >>>> Sure, but I have been using oldconfig for previous major changes and
13 >>>> never had a problem like this before.
14 >>> Now you know why the kernel devs keep telling you not to do it, heh :-)
15 >>>
16 >> I don't know which kernel dev keeps saying that, but I'd recommend
17 >> he/she specify what is meant by "major version" since, historically:
18 >>
19 >> 2.6.22
20 >> ^ ^ ^
21 >> | | +--- Revision
22 >> | +----- Minor version
23 >> +------- Major version
24 >>
25 >> And therefore .20 -> .21 would not be considered a "major" version
26 >> change by most accounts.
27 >>
28 >> --
29 >> Albert W. Hopkins
30 >
31 > Thanks for correcting my nomenclature, Albert. I too was wanting to use
32 > oldconfig for upgrading my kernel from .20 to .21, but decided not to
33 > after reading the recommendation of the Gentoo Kernel Upgrade Guide, the
34 > relevant portion of which I have pasted below. Perhaps this applied only
35 > to the specific example used.
36 >
37 > My purpose for pasting this into this discussion is three-fold: to show
38 > why I said what I did, to hopefully dispel the notion that I merely made
39 > this all up, and to discuss the relevance of the pasted text itself.
40 >
41 > I apologize for being off-topic and hope that Mick finds himself a
42 > working kernel config soon. :)
45 > Billy Wayne
46 >
47 > =====================
48 >
49 > (Note the the second and third sentences of the second paragraph.)
50 >
51 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml
52 >
53 > 10. Advanced: Using your old kernel .config to configure a new one
54 >
55 > It is sometimes possible to save time by re-using the configuration file
56 > from your old kernel when configuring the new one. Note that this is
57 > generally unsafe -- too many changes between every kernel release for
58 > this to be a reliable upgrade path.
59 >
60 > The only situation where this is appropriate is when upgrading from one
61 > Gentoo kernel revision to another. For example, the changes made between
62 > gentoo-sources-2.6.9-r1 and gentoo-sources-2.6.9-r2 will be very small,
63 > so it is usually OK to use the following method. However, it is not
64 > appropriate to use it in the example used throughout this document:
65 > upgrading from 2.6.8 to 2.6.9. Too many changes between the official
66 > releases, and the method described below does not display enough context
67 > to the user, often resulting in the user running into problems because
68 > they disabled options that they really didn't want to.
72 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list