From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching to Bellsouth dial-up, trying to anyway. :-(
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 10:58:38
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 30 May 2007 00:25, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> I'm trying to switch ISPs over to Bell South. I can not get it to
7 >> connect up though. I have tried wvdial and Kppp with no luck. This is
8 >> what I am getting.
9 >>
10 > [snip]
11 >
12 >> I did a google search and nothing made sense to me. I did try adding
13 >> lcp-max-configure 30 to /etc/ppp/options though. Still no go.
14 >>
15 >> Anybody have a clue on how to fix this??
18 > This is not going to help, but for what it's worth I used to have the same
19 > problem with a number of ISP dial-up numbers in the UK. I could get a
20 > dialling tone but for some reason the ISP modem would not pick up/respond. My
21 > modem would start the handshake but the ISP's would continue ringing. After
22 > trying out about a dozen different telephone Nos or so, I managed to find one
23 > (virgin.net) which worked without a problem; i.e. the ISP's modem would pick
24 > up and the handshake complete. I never understood what was the cause of this
25 > problem and would be interested to see what fixes it for you.
26 >
27 > Another thing, in the UK some ISP's modems are set to ignore calls which do
28 > not identify their telephone number. In such cases the dial up connection
29 > will not work if you withhold your number. If your phone settings are set to
30 > automatically withhold the number then in the UK you would need to prefix the
31 > dial up number with 1470, e.g. 1470 0845 0798313
32 >
33 > Good luck!
36 On this, I turned the volume up and it answers the phone just fine. It
37 starts the handshake part then connects at 26400 like is usually does.
38 The only difference is that BellSouth does not seem to send a login
39 prompt and my system does know what to do so it just tries to connect
40 blind as a bat without sending the login/password.
41
42 We have caller ID here and it works fine. My brother who uses windoze
43 and lives next door uses them and it works fine for them. I may try it
44 again to see if anything has changed. Maybe it needed time to use the
45 caller ID to see we are allowed to connect.
46
47 I'm open to ideas though. I have tried Kppp, wvdial and pon and get no
48 joy out of it at all. No worky. :-(
49
50 Thanks
51
52 Dale
53
57 www.myspace.com/-remove-me-dalek1967
58
59 Copy n paste then remove the -remove-me- part.