From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching to Bellsouth dial-up, trying to anyway. :-(
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 14:15:10
1 On Friday 01 June 2007 11:51, Dale wrote:
2
3 > On this, I turned the volume up and it answers the phone just fine. It
4 > starts the handshake part then connects at 26400 like is usually does.
5 > The only difference is that BellSouth does not seem to send a login
6 > prompt and my system does know what to do so it just tries to connect
7 > blind as a bat without sending the login/password.
8
9 This indicates that you have set it up to use link control protocol (LCP)
10 which is the first part of establishing a PPP link, but BellSouth may be
11 using CHAP?
12
13 > We have caller ID here and it works fine. My brother who uses windoze
14 > and lives next door uses them and it works fine for them. I may try it
15 > again to see if anything has changed. Maybe it needed time to use the
16 > caller ID to see we are allowed to connect.
17 >
18 > I'm open to ideas though. I have tried Kppp, wvdial and pon and get no
19 > joy out of it at all. No worky. :-(
20
21 I assume that you have tried out the different authentication methods in kppp
22 (pap/chap and what not). Not sure if the use of tcpdump and, or wireshark
23 would show anything particularly revealing here? This would be more
24 meaningful if you compare with a dial up number that actually works.
25
26 From what I understand BellSouth use 'TCP header compression' which I believe
27 requires the vj-max-slots option enabled in pppd, but don't know for sure
28 what the number should be, if this is enabled by default, etc. (you could try
29 from 2 to 16 and see what gives).
30
31 Additionally, a chat with the ISPs' sysadmin might help (if need be with
32 giving you a login script). If their system works with OSX which I believe
33 it does, it would probably work with Linux too.
34 --
35 Regards,
36 Mick