From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is grub2 stable and who uses it?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 14:56:24
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2011-10-04, Neil Bothwick<neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 04:49:56 -0500, Dale wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Subject line says it pretty well. Is grub2 stable, who uses it and can
6 >>> you post your experience on the switching process? Was it difficult?
7 >> I use it on my netbook, which I admittedly don't boot more than a couple
8 >> of times a month. It's stable, I can't comment on the switching process
9 >> as I used GRUB2 from the start with this machine, it seemed a good time
10 >> to get to grips with it.
11 >>
12 >> GRUB2 is neither complicated nor difficult, but it is different.
13 > I've only used it on Ubuntu, and maybe it's just Ubuntu's
14 > implementation -- but it was both complicated and difficult. There
15 > are 10X as many files, and to change anything you edit a whole set of
16 > configuration files and run a utility that generates _another_ set of
17 > configuration files.
18 >
19 > Compared to "vi /boot/grub/menu.lst; reboot", that's complicated.
20 >
21 >> If you try to think in terms of legacy GRUB, you will have more
22 >> problems than if you approach is as learning a new system.
23 > At first glace, grub2 looks like a minature Unix installation whose
24 > purpose is to boot a bigger Unix installation. It's got it's own init
25 > system and it's own set of init scripts.
28 Could this fix the mess with /usr and /var having to be on / or a
29 initramfs?
30
31 Dale
32