From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is grub2 stable and who uses it?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 20:15:43
1 On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 09:53:07 -0500
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Grant Edwards wrote:
5 > > On 2011-10-04, Neil Bothwick<neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 > >> On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 04:49:56 -0500, Dale wrote:
7 > >>
8 > >>> Subject line says it pretty well. Is grub2 stable, who uses it
9 > >>> and can you post your experience on the switching process? Was
10 > >>> it difficult?
11 > >> I use it on my netbook, which I admittedly don't boot more than a
12 > >> couple of times a month. It's stable, I can't comment on the
13 > >> switching process as I used GRUB2 from the start with this
14 > >> machine, it seemed a good time to get to grips with it.
15 > >>
16 > >> GRUB2 is neither complicated nor difficult, but it is different.
17 > > I've only used it on Ubuntu, and maybe it's just Ubuntu's
18 > > implementation -- but it was both complicated and difficult. There
19 > > are 10X as many files, and to change anything you edit a whole set
20 > > of configuration files and run a utility that generates _another_
21 > > set of configuration files.
22 > >
23 > > Compared to "vi /boot/grub/menu.lst; reboot", that's complicated.
24 > >
25 > >> If you try to think in terms of legacy GRUB, you will have more
26 > >> problems than if you approach is as learning a new system.
27 > > At first glace, grub2 looks like a minature Unix installation whose
28 > > purpose is to boot a bigger Unix installation. It's got it's own
29 > > init system and it's own set of init scripts.
32 > Could this fix the mess with /usr and /var having to be on / or a
33 > initramfs?
34
35 No that's a completely different issue.
36
37 But the warped thinking that produces it is exactly the same.
42 Alan McKinnnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com