From: Cadaver <cadaver@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev and initrd
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:14:23
1 On Wednesday 10 August 2005 03:41, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 09 August 2005 23:43, Joe Rizzo wrote:
3 > > Hi-
4 > > I am trying to convert to using udev instead of devfs. I need to load a
5 > > raid controller module to access to root fs. I am using mkinitrd to
6 > > create the initrd, however the root partition is not mounting.
7 > >
8 > > The driver module is loading but the root partition is not mounting.
9 > > The partition is fine and ext3 is compiled into the kernel. This was
10 > > working when using devfs.
11 > >
12 > > How do I get this to work? Do I need devfs compiled into the kernel?
13 > >
14 > > Thanks for the help,
15 > > Joe Rizzo
16 >
17 > no, you do not need devfs, but why do you use a module and do not compile
18 > the driver into the kernel?
19 What reason of having initrd, if driver and root fs modules are compiled into
20 the kernel? It is not very smart, isn't it? I had same problem, but I didn't
21 solved it. I think the root fs is not mounting for lack of device file in the
22 initrd.
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list