From: Michael Thompson <mike@×××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 161 UDP Constant Connections
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 15:50:29
1 On Friday 08 July 2005 16:11, Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
2 > Well, two possibilities.
3 > 1.) the packets are already mirrored at your own box
4 > 2.) the packets are mirrored at the target box
5 >
6 > I guess it's #2, you can find out by tcptracing the wire.
7 >
8 > If I were to reproduce this behaviour of the remote box I'd set up an
9 > iptables rule with the "MIRROR" target. See "man iptables" for an
10 > explanation.
11
12 I am aware of the MIRROR Target, and I agree that this would be the way to do
13 this.
16 > This may be some scary tactics to irritate the support persons in
17 > charge of managing the network - and has, according to you notes,
18 > proven to work for that :-)
19
20 Well it is certainly bugging me.
23 > My interpretion is:
24 > hacked box, shell services running on UDP 161, mirroring everything
25 > else to scare people :-) I think they've chosen SNMP port to hide their
26 > traffic, maybe to get through some firewalls.
29 Umm, quite possible. How about they have set their SNMP broadcast to a too
30 wide range, which includes the whole subnet?
31
32 > -hwh
33
34 Many thanks for your input, you have been helpful!
37 Mike
38
39 To see the world in a grain of sand,
40 and to see heaven in a wild flower,
41 hold infinity in the palm of your hands,
42 and eternity in an hour.
43
44 GnuGPG KeyID:=FC0D8D9A
45 --