From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 161 UDP Constant Connections
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 15:20:00
1 Hi,
2
3 On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 15:46:42 +0100
4 Michael Thompson <mike@×××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5
6 > > > Any one got any ideas?
7 > >
8 > > you could just try blackholing the IP at your firewall, or as i've
9 > > already mentioned - try and contact your ISP with all you know and see
10 > > if htey can shed any light on it - its possible a comprimised box.
11 >
12 > It is firewalled, and blacklisted. Has been for months. I am just curious as
13 > to why it is coming back to me.
14
15 Well, two possibilities.
16 1.) the packets are already mirrored at your own box
17 2.) the packets are mirrored at the target box
18
19 I guess it's #2, you can find out by tcptracing the wire.
20
21 If I were to reproduce this behaviour of the remote box I'd set up an
22 iptables rule with the "MIRROR" target. See "man iptables" for an
23 explanation.
24
25 This may be some scary tactics to irritate the support persons in
26 charge of managing the network - and has, according to you notes,
27 proven to work for that :-)
28
29 My interpretion is:
30 hacked box, shell services running on UDP 161, mirroring everything
31 else to scare people :-) I think they've chosen SNMP port to hide their
32 traffic, maybe to get through some firewalls.
33
34 -hwh
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list